Bunting Asks For Changes In Sign-Outs

By Susan Engelke

Mrs. Bunting proposed at the RGA meeting yesterday that sign-outs remain mandatory but asked that juniors and seniors not be punished if they return after the time for which they signed out.

Thus, the "hour of expected return" in the sign-out book for juniors and seniors would be the time at which they expect to return, while for freshmen and sophomores it would continue to be the time at which they are required to return.

The change would correct some of the difficulties in the administration of the new rules. Many dormitory presidents have complained that under the present system upperclassmen sign out considerably later than the time at which they actually plan to return in order to avoid the possibility of being late and incurring punishment.

One RGA representative suggested that it was not necessary to change the rule. Since it is up to the dormitory committees to punish infractions of the rules, she pointed out, individual committees could overlook late sign-ins by juniors and seniors if they chose.

RGA Must Wait Two Weeks

However, the Redbook stipulates that all 'Cliffies must return at the hour to which they have signed out or contact their Head Resident.

Mrs. Bunting added that she thought it unfortunate for freshmen to see an RGA rule observed only in some dorms. Any motion involving a change in social rules cannot be voted upon by the RGA legislature for two weeks.

Lois Reiser '64, the new president of RGA, said last night that some members of the executive committee favor investigating the consequences of a sudden constitutional change before any further action is taken.

She added that she hopes that next year RGA will extend itself into "other areas of Radcliffe life" than the rules. She is particularly interested in increasing the cooperation between RGA and the House centers.