Kennedy Plans Visit Here in May

President Kennedy is tentatively planning to attend the May meeting of the University Board of Overseers in Cambridge, the CRIMSON learned yesterday.

The President last attended an Overseers meeting on Jan. 9, 1961, two weeks before his inauguration. The May meeting will mark the end of his six-year term of office. No member of the 30-man Board, the alumni governing body of the University, is eligible for re-election.

Kennedy has reportedly told President Pusey that he regrets his inability to appear at Overseers meetings. His attendance has been very sporadic ever since his election to the Board in 1957, when he began thinking of the Presidency, and he has not appeared at an Overseers meeting for the past two years. Reports have circulated since last fall that the Board might take the extraordinary step of convening in Washington sometime this year to accommodate the President. But it now appears more likely that Kennedy will make the trip to Cambridge.

Although high-level White House sources would not definitely confirm plans for the trip yesterday, no one denied that the President wants to attend the last meeting of his term as an Overseer.

When Kennedy came to Cambridge for the Overseers meeting early in 1961, he was nearly mobbed by excited students as he attempted to walk across the Yard to the Loeb Drama Center. Presumably, tighter security precautions will have to be taken for his visit to the May meeting.

Even if Kennedy is present, the Overseers' agenda will remain unchanged. President Pusey will give the Board his annual report on the state of the University and then conduct the regular business meeting.