Nationalism Seen Strongest Force In 20th Century

"Nationalism, not communism, will be seen as the most revolutionary force in the history of the twentieth century," U. Alexis Johnson, Deputy Under-Secretary of State for Political Affairs, said last night.

Johnson, a former ambassador to Thailand, spoke to an HRIRC audience on the developing nations of Africa and Asia. He said nationalism and the desire for independence are the only factors uniting the otherwise dissimilar nations, and praised the "pragmatism" of these countries in accepting both American and Russian aid. He added that the form of the government they develop does not matter as long as it is based on the consent of the people.

Continued Aid Urged

To help these nations set up a free and independent government not controlled by a "foreign power," Johnson said, the United States should continue giving military, economic, and technological aid even if the countries being helped denounce American policies.

He admitted that foreign aid could play only a small role in helping a developing nation modernize itself while under the threat of communist subversion, but expressed confidence that a "peaceful world community of free and independent states" could in time become a reality.

"Communism failed in Europe and will probably fail in Africa and Asia," Johnson declared.