Varsity Tops Tigers 5-0; Kinasewich Scores Two

An inspired Tiger hockey team arose from the Ivy cellar for a brief 20 minutes in Princeton last night to hold the varsity scoreless in the first period of action. But coach Cooney Weiland's sextet, led by Gene Kinasewich's two goals, came roaring back with five markers in the final two periods to topple the Tigers 5-0. The shut-out gave the Crimson a new winning streak of five games and Harvard's 22nd straight victory over Princeton in 11 years of one-sided hockey.

Forfeiting any chance of scoring, Princeton held the varsity down in early play by transforming their offense into a six-man secondary. Varsity depth eventually won the game by wearing down the talent-starved Tigers' first line.

Gerry Jorgenson scored first for the Crimson, poking in a Dave Johnston shot at 6:44 of the first period. Ike Ikauniks followed suit eight minutes later to give the varsity a comfortable 2-0 lead. With all three lines firing away at Princeton goalie Bill Hill, Tiger fans spent the rest of the evening counting Crimson goals and Princeton saves.

Gene Kinasewich added another tally with two minutes remaining in the second period, and the Crimson moved into the final, dull 20 minutes with a 3-0 lead and a man in the penalty box. Though only five men were on the ice, the varsity scored anyway on a Tim Taylor shot at the 33 second mark.

Wood Saves 20

With Hill performing all kinds of heroics in the Princeton nets, the varsity's own goalie, Godfrey Wood, spent most of the evening playing fine but unappreciated hockey. Wood, working on his first shut-out of the season, turned in 20 saves and stopped numerous Tiger fast breaks in all three periods. Kinasewich wrapped up the evening with his final goal with four minutes remaining in the game.

The Crimson secondary had little trouble in holding Princeton's John Cook scoreless for yet another three periods of hockey. Cook, whose 19 points lead the league, was shut out in his 120 minutes against Harvard this season.