Gov. Barnett to Speak At Law Forum Tonight

School Board Won't Let Segregationist Speak in Rindge Tech School Auditorium

By Bruce L. Paisner

Mississippi Gov. Ross E. Barnett slipped quietly into Boston late last night for his speech this evening at the Harvard Law School Forum. Barnett will speak to a sell-out crowd in Sanders Theatre (capacity 1200) at 8:30.

The governor's appearance has been surrounded by controversy since the Cambridge School Committee last week denied him permission to speak in the Rindge Technical High School auditorium (capacity 2000).

Barnett's topic is "Mississippi Opportunities, Constitutional Government, and the Rights of the States." Roger Fisher, professor of Law will moderate, and the panel will consist of Louis Jaffe, Byrne Professor of Administrative Law, Charles Fried, assistant professor of Law, and Robert Keeton, professor of Law.

Led by Cambridge Mayor Edward A. Crane '35, Committee chairman, and member Gustave M. Solomons, the School Committee voted last Tuesday night to bar Barnett from the auditorium because of his role against the Federal government in last Fall's integration crisis over enrollment of James H. Meredith in the University of Mississippi.

Possible Property Damage Cited

Solomons declared that this is "a question not only of free speech, but of the rights of the citizens of the city to the proper use of the school property." He warned that "a meeting of this kind might stir up such excitement that the property of the City would be in danger."

Barnett's plans for today have not been announced. Shortly before 8:20 p.m. he will be driven from the Statler-Hilton to Sanders Theatre in a private car.

Pickets May Demonstrate

Few demonstrations are anticipated either outside Sanders or inside the hall, although a few pickets may be present. The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People has stressed its intention to provide an integrated audience for the governor but has urged that noisy demonstrations be avoided.

Kenneth Guscott, president of the Boston chapter of the NAACP, declared Saturday that "the most effective way to deal with the differences we have with Gov. Barnett on the issues of segregation and discrimination is to present Gov. Barnett with a large, integrated audience who will listen with courtesy to his ideas.

"This may serve an educational purpose for him, for his constituents, and for other Southerners, which a thousand catcalls and rebuffs could not achieve," Guscott said.

No Police Escort

The Law School Forum will not provide a police escort for the Governor's trip from the Statler to Sanders, and the combined forces of Harvard and Cambridge police have been increased only slightly to control the crowds.

Forum officials stress that they are attempting to treat Barnett like most other controversial people who have addressed the Forum. All security arrangements are under the supervision of Harvard Police chief Robert Tonis and a representative of the Cambridge police force.

Second Negro Seeks Admittance

Before Barnett's speech, a second Negro will today seek admittance to the University of Mississippi.

According to the Associated Press, Dewey Roosevelt Greene Jr., 22, of Greenwood, Miss., field suit Friday in U.S. District Court, claiming that he was eligible to enroll under the same order which admitted Meredith in September.

Greene's suit will be heard today by U.S. District Judge Sidney G. Miss, the same judge who ordered Meredith's admittance.