Wrestlers Upset Lions, 16-13, in Close Contest

In a match that was tied five times, and not decided until the final contest, the varsity wrestling team upset Columbia 16-13 Saturday. The surprise victory gives the grappelers unusual opportunity to finish higher than fourth in the Ivy League.

The score seesawed back and forth during the match. Harvard pulled ahead 5-3 and 10-7 only to have the Lions pull up even. Then Columbia snatched the lead as John Mamana, wrestling over his weight at 177, was easily decisioned by the strong Stan Yanosvitz. But the varsity struck back, tying the match 13-13 with the decisioning of Lion John Velonis by 191-lb. John Hoffman.

In the final heavyweight class, 5 ft. 10 ft 210lb. Bob Fastov of Harvard met 6 ft. 250lb. football-playing Los Asack of Columbia. In a dramatic battle, Fastov decisioned the previously undefeated Asack, giving the Crimson the win.

Other Crimson victors included Mike Grase, 130, decision; and captain Bob Koledney, 157, decision. Both Tom Gilmore, 123, and Jack Daniels, 147, fought to a draw with their Lion opponents. Jay Gaffney, 137, and Fred Pereira, 167, went down to defeat.

The varsity squad now has a 1-1 record in Ivy play and a 2-2 record overall. Columbia, last year's Ivy champs, now boasts a 1-3 Ivy mark and a 5-3 overall total. This year Cornell, which narrowly defeated the Crimson, is expected to cop the Legue title.

The freshman squad, undefeated in four matches, coasted past the Lions Saturday, sweeping the first five matches.