Ford Announces Six Appointments

Dean Ford announced today the appointment of six social scientists as assistant professors. The appointments, which will become effective July 1, will go to Donald R. Brown, Joseph Cooper '55, Melvin Croan '53, Morton H. Halperin, Richard M. Hunt, and Richard H. Ullman '55.

A specialist in political theory, Brown will become assistant professor of Government and of social studies. He has taught here since 1960, has been executive secretary of the Committee on General Education during that time, and is head resident of Comstock Hall at Radcliffe.

Research on Congress

Cooper, who will be assistant professor of Government, does his research on the workings of Congress. He has published several artistes on the legislative veto, and his study of "The Previous Question: Its Status as a Precedent for Cloture" was printed last year as U.S. Senate Document #104.

Concentrating on East Germany and Soviet-German relations, Croan will be made assistant professor of Government and research fellow in the Russian Research Center. He has studied in Germany as a Fulbright Fellow in 1953-1954 and as a Ford Foundation Fellow in 1957-1958.

A specialist in nuclear arms and arms control, Halperin will spend 1963-1964 as visiting lecturer at the University of London and in European travel and will become assistant professor of Government in September, 1964, when he returns to Harvard.

Hunt is a scholar of twentieth century German history. He will become assistant professor of Social Studies and will continue as assistant dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and head tutor of the Program for Degrees in Social Studies. An assistant director of the Free Europe Press and the Free Europe Committee from 1952 to 1956, Hunt is working on a history of Germany in the twentieth century.

Specializing in Anglo-Soviet relations, Ullman will be assistant professor of Government as well as Allston Burr Senior Tutor of Lowell House. His book, Intervention and the War (1961) is the first volume of a two-volume study of Angle-Soviet Relations, 1917-1921.