M.T.A. Yards Won't Delay Tenth House

Pusey Says Harvard Will Build Anyway

By Efrem Sigel

President Pusey indicated yesterday that the University would proceed with the construction of a tenth House in the near future whether or not it obtains possession of the Bennett St. MTA yards.

Although Pusey refused to set a deadline beyond which Harvard would begin building with or without the yards, he indicated that time was growing short. "We can't wait much longer," he said.

Pusey said that the University could not obtain full possession of the yards for at least two years--it will be that long before the MTA completes the transferal of its switching and storing facilities--indicating that if the property had not been sold to Harvard within that time the University would build elsewhere.

Harvard owns property on Cowperthwaite St., next to Leverett Towers and behind Dunster House, that could be used for construction of the new House.

Committee Plans New House

As yet there are no architectural plans or drawings for the tenth House, but preliminary work on plans will begin shortly. Dean Monro revealed that a new Overseers committee will be appointed to consider the shape of the new House. A similar committee preceded the construction of Quincy House in 1958.

Both Monro and Pusey indicated that the new House would be used primarily to alleviate some of the overcrowding which now exists in the College, not to expand the size of the student body.

"We'll do what we've done before--absorb extra freshmen and perhaps some extra growth," Monro said. He pointed to the size of the present freshman class as evidence of the overcrowding.

Dorms Handle Overflow

At present overflow from the Houses is accomodated in Claverly and certain entries in Wigglesworth, Monro explained, but this is only a temporary situation which will be remedied by construction of a new House.

Even if the University proceeds with plans for the tenth House, it may be 18 months before it learns the fate of the MTA yards. Present indications are that it will take that long for the MTA trustees to act on the bids which were opened last December 28.