Varsity Six Top Indians, Take Lead in Ivy League

By Robert A. Ferguson

A fluke shot off the stick of an opposing defenseman handed the Crimson hockey team its first goal of the evening at Watson rink last night. But it was the five legitimate markers added later that beat the Dartmouth Indians 6 to 3 and gave the Varsity undisputed possession of the League lead. The icemen from Hanover never seriously threatened the powerful Crimson and finished the contest just a little deeper in the Ivy cellar with an 0-5 record.

The hapless Indians opened the game with a flurry of activity around the Crimson nets, but soon fell back into a tight defensive formation at their own end of the ice.

Slap shots from the blue line by defensemen Mike Patterson, Harry Howell, and Dave Johnston soon stopped Dartmouth's bunching tactics on defense, opening the way for the Crimson's high-scoring line.

Patterson's fluke goal came at 5:35 of the first period and was followed by a hard Howell slap-shot at the 17 minute mark. The tally gave coach Cooney Weiland's team a two goal margin it never relinquished.

Minutes later, captain Tim Taylor added a third score ramming Gene Kinasewich's pass into the upper right hand corner of the Dartmouth goal.

Junior Bruce Thomas, filling in for injured Billy Lamarche on the second line, contributed two goals to extend the Varsity's lead to 5-1 by the end of the second period.

Dartmouth belatedly pushed two shots past goalie Godfrey Wood in the final period, but the Indians' entire first line remained scoreless against Wood and the competent Crimson secondary.

The Varsity's overall superiority in both offense and defense was amply shown by its ability to contain Dartmouth's best efforts even when short-handed. With their sixth man off the ice in the second period, Weiland's skaters played such control hockey for two minutes that they out-shot their opponents 4 to 1.

Center Baldy Smith polished off the Varsity outing with a final score at 15:12 of the last period.