BERKELEY REPLIES

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I am writing this letter in response to an article written in the Harvard CRIMSON on February 23, 193, by a David M. Gordon on life at the University of California at Berkeley.

First, commendations are in order for Mr. Gordon's article in his objective look at Cal and for his good references. And although we do not have incessant sunshine and are not all tanned, he reflects life at Cal in a surprisingly realistic light. If I may, however, I would like to point out a few somewhat erroneous points in Mr. Gordor's article.

Mr. Gordon brings out the point that Cal's largeness is not only its major feature, but also its major disadvantage. However, this fact only becomes true of one allows himself to be lost in this largeness. In one's living group many friends are to be found and one only has to make a small effort and he finds himself surrounded by friends. One shouldn't have any trouble making the effort, since most of the students are striving for essentially the same thing. However, we must admit that it is hard at times.

Mr. Gordon also states "Berkeley students, many of somewhat questionable academic ability and uncertain ambitions,..." While we must admit that many of us when entering the University are uncertain as to our ambitions, we will not admit to being of questionable academic ability. Students are admitted to Berkeley only if they are in the top 12% of their high school graduating class. Ninety-nine per cent of these are certainly not of "questionable academic ability."

Mr. Gordon, although not mentioning it explicitly, refers to the high mortality rate at Cal. The many reasons for this include marriage and financial reasons, but the main reason is the tremendous competition offered at Cal. And what is better to stimulate a real academic drive than competition complemented with the good material and a teaching staff as offered here.

I hope that I have presented a few thoughts which may change the somewhat erroneous vie taken of Cal as presented to my Harvard friends. Jack Lacy   Junior-Engineering Math   University of California at Berkeley