'Unfortunate Incident' Forces Deans To Bar Coed Groups From Lodges

Chaperons Required

Because of an "unfortunate incident" this winter, unchaperoned female guests many no longer stay overnight in sporting club lodges, Dean Watson said yesterday.

The Outing, Ski, and Mountaineering Clubs have been notified that chaperons approved by the dean's office must supervise all mixed groups planning to spend the night in a lodge.

According to sources not connected with the dean's office, the "unfortunate incident" occurred at the Ski Club Lodge in Jackson, N.H. During an unchaperoned party held there, a university student reportedly molested an unidentified girl. The girl subsequently filed a complaint with University officials.

Not Yet

Watson said that previously the administration had left the management of the lodges entirely in the hands of the undergraduate organizations and their alumni committees. In the future, however, the club presidents must notify the deans of any mixed groups planning to stay at the lodges. As dean Watson explained. "Harvard has not yet reached the point where unmarried males and females can spend the night together."

According to the new rules the three clubs involved must file a chaperon report with the dean's office when planning to have girls spend the night at a lodge. The deans must approve the chaperone and record his name. Watson said that a married couple, or possibly an unmarried student in his late 20's, would be acceptable to the university as a chaperon.

Officers of the Ski Club had no comment on the new rules, but said "We do not essentially disagree with the dean."