Vacation Food Might Resume

At least one College dining hall will remain open during the Christmas and spring recesses next year, Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, Assistant Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences for Business Affairs, stated yesterday.

"So far as I know," he said, "the closing of the dining halls during the recess this Spring is only a temporary measure."

C. Graham Hurlburt, Jr., Assistant Director of Dining Halls, had stated last Wednesday that he did not know whether the new policy would be continued during future vacations. He felt that the number of students eating at Harvard dining rooms during the vacations had grown too small to justify keeping the dining halls open.

If any permanent change is made, it would require the approval of the Committee on Houses. It seemed unlikely to Trottenberg, however, that the closing of the dining halls during vacation period would ever become established procedure.

He added that the dining hall department was closing the halls this Spring primarily to allow as many kitchen personnel as possible to participate in a vacation workshop. During the week of the recess three Cornell Hotel School professors will work with the staffs of the kitchens in an effort to increase dining hall efficiency.