7 Masters Challenge HSA Manager, Deny Knowledge of Deliveries 'Rule'

Seven Masters yesterday denied any knowledge of a rule prohibiting private organizations from making deliveries to students' rooms.

They also said that they had never heard of the Committee on Solicitations which Dustin M. Burke '52, general manager of Harvard Student Agencies, had defined Tuesday as "a sort of communications system between. HSA and the House Masters." Burke added that the Masters "have the final say in this matter."

Burke had said that individuals who had not been granted permission from the Committee on Solicitations would not be allowed to make deliveries in the dormitories. Robert Tonis, Chief of the University Police, said Tuesday that no such rule existed. The police, he added, allow any "legitimate organization" to deliver to students' rooms.

According to Burke, the Committee on Solicitations reviews all requests for permission to make deliveries in the dormitories and Houses. It then advises the Masters, who vote on allowing each individual organization to deliver to students' rooms, he said.

All 7 Master contradicted Burke, however. None knew of the Committee on Solicitations or of any recommendations made by the committee.

John J. Conway, Master of Leverett House, said that he saw no reason why organizations should not be allowed to make deliveries in the houses. Alwin M. Pappenheimer '29, Master of Dunster House, agreed with Conway. He added that he would not take any action to stop individuals from making deliveries.

Elliott Perkins '23, Master of Lowell House, said that he had never been informed of Burke's opinions on deliveries made to students' rooms. The matter has never been brought up before the Committee on Houses, he continued, nor has it been presented to the Masters for comment.

John H. Finley Jr. '25, Master of Eliot House; Reuben A. Brower, Master of Adams House; and David E. Owen, Master of Winthrop House, agreed with the other Masters. "I don't stand out by the entrance looking for strangers delivering to the boys," Owen said.

Dean Monro stated on Tuesday that both he and Dean Watson had no knowledge of Burke's suggestion or of any rule prohibiting deliveries from being made in the Houses and freshman dormitories.