Western Power Will Add Interest To American League Pennant Race

By Joseph M. Russin

The scramble for position in the American League should be fascinating this year, even though the play on the field could become tedious. Nearly every club in the League appears to be stronger than last season and it may take until September to determine just how significant the winter changes were.

Last year trouble developed in the West, and for a while it seemed as if a full-scale rebellion was brewing. Look to the West for most of the excitement this season as well.

Minnesota manager Sam Mele did no trading during the winter recess, and with good reason: he has a well-balanced young ball team that could bring home a pennant any year now. His infield, a question mark last year because of its youth, has had a year to work together and they move with smooth precision.

Three veterans bolster the Twins' artillery--Vic Power (.290) at first, and Harmon Killebrew (48 homers and 126 RBIs to lead the AL in both departments) and Bob Allison (29 homers and 102 RBIs) in the outfield.

The Twins' major problems may be on the mound. Comilo Pascual (20-11) and Jim Kaat (18-14) should be big winners again this season. The only question is whether they can succeed in tense situations. Jack Kralick (12-11) must be more reliable this year for the Twins to move, because behind him there isn't much worth talking about.

Angels Look Strong

Nobody really knows what the Los Angeles Angels will try this year, including manager Bill Rigney. In unguarded moments some members of this crazy team have even considered trying to win the pennant. The Angels might do something like that, but chances are a goal so normal will soon bore such characters as Bo Belinsky and Leon Wagner.

The Angels did amaze the league last year, though, and their rise was not totally unreasonable. Leon Wagner was actually much tougher than his .268 average implies, and his 37 homers and 107 RBIs were often strategically placed. First baseman Lee Thomas may not be ideal as a fielder, but he hits with authority and regularity (.290). Billy Moran was a nobody until last year; now he is one of the most respected second basemen around.

Pitching, though, is perhaps the major strength of the club. Bo "No Hit" Belinsky is terrific when he's hot. Manager Rigney's only problem is to work out a rotation schedule that takes account of 3o's night club obligations. More reliable is Ken McBride (11-5), who mystified the best batters around until a rib injury removed him in August. Dean Chance (14-10), fourth-ranking pitcher in the AL on ERA, is useful both as a starter and reliever.

No Doughnut

Boston's Red Sox probably won't be the AL champion, but they won't be the League doughnut either. A lot depends, of course, on the results of the trades the Sox made over the winter. Most of the newcomers are from the National League, though, and National players often tend to benefit from the switch.

Manager Johnny Pesky must get a lot from Dick Stuart, the long-ball, low-average Pirate who is being counted on at first base. The Sox gave up two good players for Stuart, and if he crumps, well, that's the ball game for many years.

Roman Mejias is another boy that had better come through or there might be some changes in the front office. Mejias was paid for with batting champion Pete Runnels. The thinking was that he and Stuart, both being right-handed, might be able to make use of the attractively short field at Fenway. The two of them could conceivably collect more than 70 home runs this year.

Carl Yastrzemski and Lu Clinton will patrol the outer grass with Mejias, and both are capable of strong batting averages. In fact, some reporters think Yastrzemski might become one of the League's best batsmen.

The infield is not the best in the business, but there are lots worse. If Chuck Schilling can recover from his disastrous sophomore slump (.230), the Boston infield could become a major asset.

Boston's pitching staff has only one certainty--weakness. Bill Monbouquette (15-13) is a local favorite, but there were many days last year when opponents liked him even more. Earl Wilson (12.8) did pitch a no-hitter, although he allowed far too many hits on numerous other occasions. Gene Conley (15-14), if he can catch the team bus in time, might become a reliable hurler, but then again....

One possible challenger--if everything goes all right--could be Detroit. The Tigers possess considerable teeth with Rocky Colivito (37 homers), Norm Cash (39 homers), and Al Kaline: (.304). Detroit's infield, however, is rather leaky defensively, and their big sluggers seem to alternate good years.

Lary Must Win

Jim Bunning (19-10), ERA champ Hank Aguirre (16-8), and Don Mossi (11-13) are more than adequate material to build a mound corps around, but unless Frank Lary (2-6) can regain his touch, the Tigers will have considerable difficulty battling the Twins and Angels.

Chicago's Al Lopez claims (for the ninth time in ten years) that he has a contender, and perhaps he does. Joe Cunningham (.295), Floyd Robinson (.312), and Al Smith (292) give him a significant outfield, but he has lots of troubles elsewhere--like the entire infield. Ray Herbert might win 20 games for the Chisox; if he doesn't forget it. There isn't much else on the staff.

The picture at Baltimore is brighter, although a lot of the glitter so far has been in press releases. Steve Barber (9-6) is out of the Army, and he, Chuck Estrada (9-17), and Milt Pappas (12-10) are a youthful, effective mound aggregation. Robin Roberts (10-9) might have one more year, and that could be important.

Baltimore's major problem last year was the team's inability to score. Unless some of the youngsters have great years the pitching staff could be in for another season of close losses. Jim Gentile (.251) and Boog Powell (.243) were two major reasons for the club's severe affliction of plate anemia. If they, and Brooks Robinson (.303) can have a good season together, the Birds will fly.

Good Indian Rookies

The situation at Cleveland is very confusing, and sports scribes differ greatly in their estimations of the team. Those who are optimistic stress the potential of rookies Vic Davillilo. Tony Martinez, and Max Alvis. The addition of Joe Adcock at first should also help.

Most of the veterans are old and undistinguished though, and youth alone, despite its eagerness, won't succeed in the improved American League. Manager Birdie Tebbetts cannot rely on pitching to do the job either, as only Dick Donovan (20-10) is consistently effective.

But after the 15th of August all these fine clubs will be battling for second place. By that time the New York Yankees will have begun scouting their National League opponent for the World Series. Behind the incomparable Yanks (whose wonders are world famous), look for Minnesota, Detroit, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Baltimore, Cleveland, Kansas City, and Washington in approximately that order.