Wiggins Says Board Rates Will Not Rise

"There will be absolutely no board raise for the next academic year," L. Gard Wiggins, Administrative Vice President, told four members of the Harvard Council for Undergraduate Affairs, who met with Wiggins and other administration officials yesterday to discuss dining hall policy.

Wiggins also announced that improvements in Central Kitchen will be undertaken this summer. New heated carts will take food through the tunnels from the Central Kitchen to the five Houses it serves and to the Freshmen Union. Specially constructed elevators will then deliver the food directly to each pantry, with a minimum of heat lost in the process.

Charles G. Hurlburt Jr., Assistant Director of the Dining Hall Department, said that it may be necessary to serve orange juice less often than the three times a week it is served now. He observed that orange juice costs have become "exorbitant" as a result of the recent cold wave in Florida, and that students often drink as many as six or seven glasses at one meal.

Seymour Proposes Serving Rule

Tom Seymour '64, HCUA chairman, countered this with a proposal to limit people to two glasses of orange juice per breakfact.

If the Seymour rule, which will go into effect after spring recess, is not abused, Carle T. Tucker, director of the Dining Hall Department, has agreed to serve the more popular, more expensive meals at regular intervals under similar provisions.

In connection with this, Sanford J. Ungar '66, chairman of the HCUA Dining Halls Committee plans to investigate the frequency with witch some of the less popular meals, such as veal and hash, are served. The committee will study the possibility of replacing some of these meals with more popular ones.

In reply to a suggestion that the committee work toward greater standardization of food in the Houses, Tucker declared that "the food is the same in all the Houses and it always has been."