Columbia Announces New Parietal House

Columbia boys will be allowed to entertain female guests in their dormitory rooms on alternate Sundays from 2 to 5 p.m.--provided the doors are kept open. Formerly, women were not allowed in Columbia rooms at any time.

The drastic liberalization of Columbia's rules was announced by Dean David B. Truman last week, after the Undergraduate Dormitory Council had requested the institution of parietals on a limited basis.

President Grayson Kirk approved the UDC proposal in a letter to the undergraduates, but said that Columbia students would have to prove their responsibility and maturity by refraining from riots and panty raids in the future. Panty raids have often been the only way for Columbia boys to meet students from Barnard College, a girls school across the street on Broadway and 116th St.

The provision that doors be kept open when women guests are present was requested specifically by President Rosemary Park of Barnard.

There was no reaction among Harvard students to the change. "Columbia?? Isn't that somewhere uptown?" one New Yorker asked.