Pont Named Yale's Head Coach; Miami Mentor Succeeds Olivar

By Robert A. Ferguson

When Jordan Olivar suddenly resigned as Yale's head football coach last January, New Haven just as suddenly lost the services of its most successful pigskin mentor in modern history with no replacement in sight. Yesterday afternoon, a Yalie screening committee picked a virtual unknown, John Pont, from more than 100 applicants to succeed Olivar and lead the Bulldogs for the next three years.

Reckless Mentor

Lauded for his "intelligent recklessness on the football field," Pont has coached Miami (Ohio) University for the past seven years. The Yalies' new football coach collected three Mid-American Conference titles and compiled a 43-21.2 record while at Miami. Last season his conference-champion eleven registered eight victories including a 10-7 win over Big Ten opponent Purdue.

Pont, who will be Yale's 20th head coach since 1872, signed a three-year contract for an undisclosed sum of money and was given complete freedom in his choice of assistants. The former halfback played his own football at Miami where he still holds seven scoring records.

Pont will have a tough time trying to match his predecessor's Yalie units. Olivar led the Bulldog varsity for 11 years--longer than any other coach in Yale history. Over that span he won more football games (61) than any New Haven coach since the days of Walter Camp who produced 67 victories for the Blue.

Resignation 'Surprise'

Olivar's resignation "came as a surprise" to Yale officials and was not made public until two months after the end of last Fall's season. The former coach of the Elis reputedly wished to devote all of his energies to his private business in Los Angeles.

Pont has been described as a dynamic and fierce competitor and is said to favor an open T-formation style of play. The 34-year-old coach became Miami's football mentor in 1956 just four years after completing his own college pigskin career.

Yale athletic director DeLaney Kiputh announced the signing of Pont. Speaking for the entire selection committee Kiputh said "to a man we are convinced that both his background and enthusiasm will assure the continuation of our proud football heritage."

The more recent aspects of the New Haven "heritage" include four losses to the Crimson in five years of football.