Professor Blasts Campaign Waged Vs. Fluoridation

Fredrick J. Stare, professor of Nutrition at the Medical School and Secretary of the Massachusetts Committee for Dental Health, stated Wednesday that the opponents of fluoridation in Brookline have waged a campaign of "vituperation and distortion." His statement was reiterated and augmented yesterday by Mrs. Justyn Wyner of the Brookline committee supporting fluoridation.

The citizens of Brookline defeated a referendum for fluoridation last Tuesday.

Mrs. Wyner said that the opponents of fluoridation had placed an advertisement in the Brookline Citizen implying a link between fluoridation and diabetes, kidney disorder, allergies, and arthritis. The ad also stated that only "payola professors" and commercial interests profiting from the sale of fluoride supported fluoridation.

Opponents of fluoridation also conducted a vast mail campaign. According to Mrs. Wyner, one of the pamphlets sent to Brookline citizens read, "Will your child be the one in six to have mottled teeth?" Others contained out-of-context quotes of various doctors.

Mrs. Wyner said that the defeated referendum for fluoridation could have been passed "hands down" were it not for the "distortion and scare tactics" by the Brookline Citizens Rights Association opposing fluoridation.

She pointed out that the United States Public Health Service has supported fluoridation since 1951, and that President Kennedy recently spoke in favor of it.

Mrs. Frederick Kingsbury, chairman of the Citizens Rights Association, yesterday issued a press release denying the charges of "vituperation and distortion," and stating that the association had pre- sented "the facts" on a controversial issue. Contacted by phone, she refused to answer any questions about the release.

The release also stated that the association has proposed a plan which would provide free fluoride tablets to citizens who wanted them for their children on a voluntary basis