Alphand Asserts French Desire For Autonomous Nuclear Force

Delighting his Harvard audience with his wit and fielding their questions with diplomatic elusiveness, French Ambassador to the U.S. Herve Alphand last night reiterated France's desire to have "an autonomous nuclear force."

Alphand said that the recent talks between U.S. Secretary of State Rusk and French Foreign Minister Couve de Murville "do not signify a change in the French mood." Both Parliament and the people are "strongly behind President de Gaulle's ambition that France have its own means to defend itself," he stated.

U.S. Not Mistrusted

At the same time the ambassador repeatedly emphasized that "France does not mistrust the U.S." He argued that, rather than weakening the Western forces, an independent nuclear force in France will strengthen the West against the Soviet threat.

By possessing its own force France will also insure greater protection for itself, he said. "In the next 15 years there may come a time when there is a threat mostly against France. In such a situation the U.S. may not want to sacrifice millions by entering a war just to defend France."

Alphand asserted that the French do not discount the possibility of eventually achieving a comprehensive Western force similar to President Kennedy's Grand Design. But this will not come, he said, until "France can participate as an ally to the U.S. and not a satellite."

The question and answer period following Alphand's speech provided the audience with a great deal of amusement. Asked what France's policy was on nuclear testing, Alphand replied: "If the United States and Russia want to stop testing, we certainly will not object."

One of the highlights of the evening was the presence of Madame Alphand the Ambassador's stunning wife. Madame Alphand listened to her husband's speech silently from her seat in the second row. After the speech students pressed around her to ask her questions, before she slipped into the limousine with her husband.