Harvard Hits NIH Ban On Change in Research

By Martin S. Levine

University officials said yesterday that Harvard's protest to the U.S. Public Health Service primarily concerned a rule barring the alteration of research projects by scientists who have grants from the National Institutes of Health.

In a letter dated March 15, the University warned the Health Service that if "a flexible and easy procedure" could not be developed for changing the nature of research, the agency would spend huge sums in "sterile" paperwork and the entire program of NIH research grants might lose its effectiveness. The Public Health Service is NIH's parent organization in the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare.

President Pusey said that the government's restriction "seems directly contrary to any sensible kind of scientific practice." He added, however, that the dispute was "just a conflict between the way a scientist works and the way a government accountant wants to keep records."

The controversy stems from a new regulation that prohibits changes that are "a significant deviation from the nature and purpose of the approved project." Scientists wishing to change the direction of their research must apply for a new grant to retain their federal support.

The University also objected in its letter to the "quarterly effort reports" that the Public Health Service requires of scientists with NIH research grants. Another procedure begun this year, the reports are supposed to show the percentage of his time and effort a researcher spends on his project.

The letter pointed out that it is difficult to prepare such reports, because colloquia and other informal activities are often connected with a scientist's work. It asked the Public Health Service to define more precisely what it means by work on a project.

The Harvard letter was sent over the signature of Henry C. Meadow, executive secretary to the committee on research and development. The Public Health Service has acknowledged receipt of the letter, but has not yet replied to the University's objections.

L. Gard Wiggins, Administrative Vice President, explained that the Public Health Service reformed its research grant procedures under the pressure of Congressmen seeking to eliminate waste. Officials in the Health Service have said that the size of their grant program has forced them to follow a stricter fiscal policy.

Last year the University received a total of $12.9 million in aid from the Public Health Service, with the lion's share ($8 million) going to the Med School. The Faculty of Arts and Sciences, the University Health Services, and the Schools of Public Health, Dental Medicine, and Education also received funds.