Quaker Nine Topples Crimson 4-3

Weather, Fielding Hamper Harvard

By G. ROBERT Lucas ii

Soldiers' Field has been windy and cold for some time now. Yesterday it was very windy and very cold, and this, coupled with what Coach Norm Shepard called "too many mistakes in the field" led to a 4-3 defeat of the varsity baseball team at the hands of the Pennsylvania Quakers.

Penn took better advantage of the breaks afforded them than did the home nine. Good bunting (Penn turned sacrifice bunts into safeties where Crimson bunts almost always, when they stayed fair, led to outs) and fewer miscues (Harvard had five, Penn one) seemed to spell the difference.

This proved to be the case in the eighth inning. Harvard had a 3-2 advantage going into the top of the eighth, but it was in this inning that the Quakers scored their two winning runs. Timely hits by pinch hitters, two good bunts in a row--one of which caused Harvard pitcher Dick Garibaldi to throw wide--a base on balls, and a long sacrifice fly pushed the runs across.

Auspicious Beginning

The game began auspiciously. With two gone in Harvard's half of the first, Terry Bartolet and Tom Stephenson hit back-to-back singles. Tom Gilmor then stepped to the plate and hit a screaming drive through the box--just past the outstretched glove of the Quaker secondbaseman. Bartolet scored from third on the play. The joy was short-lived, however, as the Crimson's sloppy fielding becan to show and the Quakers picked up one run in the top half of the second, and took the lead in the top of the third.

Harvard's big break came in the fifth inning when they picked up two runs on one incredible play. With two on base, a routine drive to left for what should have been the second out, was dropped by Penn's left fielder, loading the bases.

At this point the real fun began. Terry Bartolet clubbed a long sacrifice fly to left field. Garibaldi tagged up and made it safely home. Penn's catcher then threw to third to try and get Combs coming down from second. This attempt failed, but it looked to the Penn squad as though they might pick off Bilodeau on his way to second. This attempt, too, ended in failure. Curly Combs was on his way home by this time, and the throw from second to home was once again too late.

Both pitchers went all the way and both left the game with even records of one win and one loss. Dick Garibaldi was effective for the Crimson, chalking up nine strikeouts. Three of these came in the seventh inning, after powerful Ray Carazo (three for five for the afternoon) slammed a long, long triple to right field. The next batter watched the third strike go by, and the next two went down swinging. The five free passed issued by the speedballer, however, didn't do much to aid the cause.

Penn's hurier Pat Procacci was unspectacular in striking out four and walking two, but really didn't gave the Crimson nine much to look at. His favorite--and most frequent--pitch was a fast ball that came down the outside to the right handed hitters and broke sharply across the center of the plate at the last minute. All seven hits against him were singles, an indication that the Crimson batters were having difficulty getting wood on the ball