Harvard Hikers Take Scottish Challenge To Fifty-Five-Mile Walks

As students at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland set out for a 55-mile walk last night, 4800 miles away three Harvard hikers were doing the same thing.

Rising to a challenge by the Scotch university, the local peripatetics drove northwest of Cambridge to Fitchburg, where they began their hike back about 1:30 a.m.

John A. Graham, secretary of the Mountaineering Club and leader of the walkers, estimated that the hike would take between 14 and 18 hours, but added that it might last much longer.

"Most of our boys are used to walking uphill," he said, "and I'm afraid the level ground might confuse us." He refused to predict how many of the three would complete the full 55 miles.

Perry Hulmes, "charities convener" at St. Andrews, proposed the walk last month in a letter addressed to the "President of the Student Body, Harvard University." Noting that his school was planning a hike to advertise its charity drive, he continued, "In view of President Kennedy's recent remarks on fitness, we would introduce an international element into our Stroll.

"St. Andrews University hereby offer (sic) Harvard University a challenge to organize a similar 55-mile walk... the university which has the greater number of finishers to be declared the

Sachar himself minimized the significance of "the furor that has excited the Brandeis campus." "Inevitably, when an issue involving academic freedom or freedom of speech arises on campus," he explained, "faculty and students become tremendously exercised. And they should."

"Responsible Dissent"

Sachar stated that he has no objection to dissent, and admires the "special kind of courage one must have to speak out against the president of a university." He stressed that other faculty members, whose speeches were never questioned, protested Kennedy's actions in Cuba, but "they spoke in responsible dissent."

In her speech, Mrs. Aberle said, "If there is to be a war, I hope Cuba will win and the United States will be shamed before all the world and its imperialistic hegemony ended forever in Latin America."

Mrs. Aberle and her husband, David L. Aberle, former head of the Brandeis Anthropology department, submitted their resignations three weeks ago. They plan to leave Brandeis at the end of the spring term