Track Team Faces Army

By Steven V. Roberts

Army and Harvard, about as unlikely a pair of rivals as one could imagine, renew a heated track feud this afternoon in what should be one of the best dual meets in the East this spring. Activities will commence in Memorial Stadium at 2 p.m.

During the indoor season the Crimson edged the Cadets, 56-53, but then finished second to Army in the Heptagonals by five points. Last spring the Cadets posted a 79 1/2-69 1/2 victory at West Point.

The big question today is "How many can Awori win?" The lithe sophomore from Uganda, the only triple winner in indoor Heptagonal history, will enter five events--the 100 and 220 yard dashes, the 120 yard high hurdles, the 220 yard low hurdles, and the broad jump. A wori will have to win at least three, possibly four, of the events for the Crimson to have a chance at victory.

In the dashes Awori will face stiff competition from Army's captain, Joe Almaguer, and Gregg Steele, who took second and third behind the Crimson speedster in the indoor sprints.

Awori apepars to have clearer sailing in the hurdles, but there is no telling how heavily the burden of running so many races will weigh. In fact, the Crimson could pull a sweep here (as it did indoors) if Jack Spitzberg and Hank Hatch turn in top performances.

If Awori does not win the broad jump, somebody from Harvard will, probably Chris Ohiri. Either Chuma Azikiwe or Sid Marland should take third for Harvard.

Hop, Step, and Jump

The Crimson will also get a sweep in the hop, step, and jump, where Hobie Armstrong, Ohiri, and Azikiwe form the strongest team in the country in that event.

In the field events--the catapult (for merly the pole vault) and the high jump--Harvard will be pressed to score at all. However, Spitzberg, who has shown himself capable of clutch performances in the past, could gain points in the high jump.

Army's Jim Sarn is a standout in both the shot and the discus, and Harvard entries will have to go all out to beat him. Art Croasdale in the shot and John Bakkinsen in the idiscus appear to have their events safe for the Cadets. Clark Ballard in the hammer throw and John Ahearn in the javelin are favored over strong Crimson opponents.

Middle, Distance Runs Even

This leaves the middle distance and distance runs. When the dust settles each side should have about 18 points. Either captain Ed Hamlin or Ed Meehan will take the 880 for Harvard, while Army's Ed Banks is favored in the 440.

The cadets' standout Bill Straub is top man in both the mile and two mile. Harvard no longer has Mark Mullin in the mile, but Meehan and Hamlin are no pushovers. The relay should go to Army.

This all adds up to one huge question mark. Seventy-nine points are needed to win, and the winners should gain no more than 85. The key events for Harvard are the hurdles and dashes, and such field events as the javelin and high jump, where it is not too strong. A few surprises and the Crimson should win it, and stamp itself the leading contender for the outdoor Heptagonal title.