Article States School Lacks Negro Profs

Harvard has no faculty members with tenure who are Negroes, according to a recent survey by the New York Times. The newspaper reported that of 17 major universities checked, six have no Negro professors and the rest have only one or two.

Yale, Columbia, and Stanford have no Negro professors. Princeton, however, has a new psychologist on its faculty and has appointed W. Arthur Lewis, vice chancellor of the University of the West Indies, professor of Economics and International Affairs beginning next fall.

One Negro at M.I.T.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology has one Negro professor, an assistant professor of Civil Engineering. A spokesman for the University of California at Berkeley said there were "at least several" Negroes teaching on that campus.

The survey was published by the Times along with an announcement that John Hope Franklin, chairman of the Brooklyn College History Department, has been appointed professor of American History at the University of Chicago.

Franklin, an authority on slavery and the Reconstruction, will join five or six other Negroes who hold tenure on the Chicago faculty. The university, which is traditionally strong in studies of the American Negro, reportedly made the appointment with the hope that "it will encourage Negro intellectuals and make Chicago a center for their research."

The Times quoted Daniel J. Boorstin, professor of History at Chicago, as saying that scholarship by Negroes has been left untouched by American universities.