Three Hikers Trek 55 Miles in Match With Scotch School

In response to a challenge from Scotland's St. Andrew's University, three Harvard hikers trekked 55 miles from the town of Gardner to the steps of Widener Saturday.

Four walkers set out from Gardner at 1:15 a.m., but Steven M. Pomerance '64 had to quit after 35 miles because of painful blisters raised by ill-fitting boots. After overcoming obstacles such as suspicious policemen and barking Fitchburg watchdogs, John A. Graham '64, secretary of the Mountaineering Club which organized the hike, and Josef Vagvolgyi, teaching fellow in Biology, reached Widener at 5:45 p.m. John A. Ward '65, another Mountaineer, dragged himself home three hours later.

Nourishing themselves on candy bars, orange juice, and beer, the hikers covered the first 30 miles at the brisk pace of five miles per hour. In deference to their protesting limbs, they decided to slow down and take frequent two-minute breaks for the remainder of the hike.

Graham, who termed the last few miles "absolutely masochistic" considered the hike worthwhile but said he "would think twice before trying it again."

While the Harvard men were struggling along Route 2, St. Andrew's students were taking a similar stroll in Scotland. According to terms set up by he Scots in a letter received by the HCUA, the school with the greatest number of finishers will be the winner. The Scots have not yet sent word of their results.