Lacrosse Team Blasts Brown, 10-4; Gunnoe's Passing Sparks Offense

By Steven V. Roberts

Tink Gunnoe's passing moved the Crimson attack into high gear in the second half yesterday afternoon as the varsity lacrosse team defeated previously unbeaten Brown, 10-4, at the Business School field.

A raw wind helped produce generally sloppy play on both sides as Harvard evened its season record at 3-3. Several outstanding individual performances overcame the Crimson's consistent inability to pick up loose balls, clear the ball from its own area, and move crisply on the attack.

Gunnoe was the sparkplug. He scored the Crimson's first goal unassisted at 3:31 of the first period and fed to midfielder Pete Wood for the third five minutes later.

At the start of the second half, with Harvard leading 4-3, he set up Wood again to give the Crimson breathing room. Joey Prahl, another Crimson hero, raced in unassisted to slam home his second goal. Then Gunnoe fed Lou Williams for two quick goals to clinch the victory. In the fourth period the chunky attackman recorded his fifth assist, setting up Dick Ames' second goal of the day.

The important thing was that Gunnoe managed to hit his fellow attackmen, Williams and Ames. Last year Grady Watts' feeds from behind the goal to the towering Williams was the Crimson's key offensive maneuver. But Williams, one of the country's top scorers last year, has not been scoring well thus far. Playing on the crease he usually needs a pass to be able to shoot, and the team's inability to feed him effectively has been a primary cause of its mediocre start.

Another important contribution to the Crimson's victory was made by sophomore Orm Hammond, last year's freshman goal tender, who took over for Gil Leaf at the start of the second period. Although a bit shakey on clearing the ball Hammond made several brilliant stops in his first varsity game. The only goal scored against him was on a point blank rebound.

The two midfield standouts for the Crimson were Prahl and Wood. Prahl scored three times, twice unassisted, and was a consistent asset to the defense. Wood scored twice to maintain his team leadership in goals.

Gunnoe left the game in the fourth period with a charley horse, but should be ready by Saturday.