RADCLIFFE DORM RULES

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

This is to clarify your editorial of April 15, which completely misunderstood the purpose of the proposed rules change. In the first place, "Junior-Senior privilege" would work exactly as "Senior privilege" worked in the past. There was nothing "automatic" about the old system, and we are not proposing one in which a girl would be automatically excluded from this privilege because she had a certain number of social violations on her record. The record of each girl would be carefully and impartially examined. If Radcliffe girls are as mature and responsible as they have been purported to be, their records will show it. It is our belief that, as under the old system, very few girls would be denied this privilege.

The proposed change is directed at freshmen and sophomores, who, this year, because of the confusion created by the new rules changes, have poorer social records than Juniors and Seniors and those underclassmen of previous years. The less responsible girls, thinking that Junior-Senior rules are their automatic right, do nothing to live up to that right, and show little or no respect for either the social rules or the work program. The proposed rules change, then, is an attempt to make the freshmen and sophomores more aware of their responsibilities in the Radcliffe community and should by no means be considered a step backwards. Carelyn Fawcett '65