Crimson Wins Area Dinghy Crown; Sailors Capture Eleven Firsts

Crimson sailors swept to their third successive defense of the Greater Boston Dinghy Championship in a series of easy races on the Charles yesterday.

Sailing in light, fluky winds from the M.I.T. pavilion, Dave Stookey, Mike Horn, and Carter Ford swamped all comers and scored 153 out of a possible 168 points.

So confident were the Crimson sailors of victory that they didn't even bother to bring the Oberg trophy, symbol of dinghy supremacy in Boston, down to the dock.

As expected, the regatta quickly turned into a two-way contest between Harvard and M.I.T. Five other colleges entered, but were occupied mainly with capsizes and fouls.

For the first ten races, the lead see-sawed between the Crimson and the Engineers, but as the wind gradually died down, Harvard pulled steadily and decisively ahead.

Crimson sailors captured 11 first places, seven seconds, one third, and two fourths. Stookey was high point skipper with 53 points, but Horn who tied with M.I.T.'s Bob Klare, was close behind with 52. Ford finished the afternoon with 48.