Lacrosse Team Edges Quakers, 7-5

By Robert A. Ferguson

April showers at noon and a brief Quaker rally later in the day were the sole external threats to Saturday afternoon's lacrosse game, but the varsity still had trouble stopping Pennsylvania in a low-scoring 7-5 contest. Harvard's poor shooting and equally ineffective passing, rather than Quaker prowess, made the Penn outing tougher than it should have been.

Coach Bruce Munro's stickmen raced off to a first half 6-2 lead on the strength of Tink Gunnoe's passing and Dick Ames' shooting. Ames tallied first for the Crimson on a Gunnoe pass that put the varsity ahead after just two minutes of play.

Lou Williams and Joey Prahl added markers of their own before the end of the period. The varsity took only eight shots in the first 15 minutes, but still held a comfortable 3-1 edge.

The second period was more of the same with the Crimson sandwiching several flashy combinations around generally mediocre play. Mike Tyler, whose scrappy performance gave Harvard ball possession time and again, took the quarter's opening face-off and passed to Gunnoe in Quaker territory. Dodging around his defenseman, Gunnoe put away a high, hard left-handed shot and the score was 4 to 2 after just 18 seconds.

Midfielder Bruce Caputo added another tally mid-way through the period. Showing poise far beyond his minimal game experience, the sophomore middie carefully bounced his shot through a screen of Quaker defensemen. Another Gunnoe-to-Ames combination made it 6-1 before Penn could push through its second goal.

Assured of its victory, the varsity relaxed in the second half and the mediocre Quakers outscored Harvard 3 to 1. Taking advantage of Harvard's many miscues, Penn also out-shot the varsity during the game with 27 attempts to Harvard's 26.