Tennis Team Defeats Columbia, 9-0; Stays Unbeaten in Eastern League

The varsity tennis team romped to its fifth straight victory Saturday, shutting out Columbia 9-0. The win kept the Crimson unbeaten in Eastern Intercollegiate Tennis League play.

Harvard players lost only two sets during the match. Number one player Paul Sullivan dropped the first set to Joe Braziller, but came back to win 5-7, 6-1, 6-2. John Vinton and Sandy Walker squeezed past Harley Frankel and Hank Kaplan in the number two doubles match, 4-6, 6-2, 6-2.

Otherwise everyone had an easy day. Vic Niederhoffer beat Frankel 6-3, 6-3; Frank Ripley tripped Kaplan, 6-4, 6-2; Chum Steele walloped Seth Schein, 6-1, 6-2. Doug Walter crushed Steve Hartman, 6-1, 6-2; and Sandy Walker outstroked Bob Dorman, 6-4, 6-2.

Dean Peckham and Bob Inman won the number one doubles match from Hartman and Braziller, 6-1, 6-2; and Ed Robinson and Ripley beat George Gut-worth and Tom Bernard at number three doubles, 6-2, 6-0.

The play of Peckham and Inman was the highlight of the team's two weekend matches; it was their come-from-behind victory in a doubles match at Pennsylvania that gave the Crimson a 5-4 win over the Quakers Friday. Trailing by one set when they learned that Penn had tied the match at 4-4, the Crimson duo pulled out the second set, 14-12. After transferring to an indoor court because of darkness, Peckham and Inman won the third set and the match, 6-3.

The Crimson's EITL record is now 3-0, and the team ought to beat both Brown and Cornell this week for two more League wins.