Retiring Librarian At Design School Gets Gift for Travel

Katherine McNamara, the first woman member of the Faculty of the Graduate School of Design, will retire this summer after almost 45 years as administrator and teacher.

Miss McNamara, lecturer on City Planning and Librarian of the Graduate School of Design, received a gift of $5000 for world travel at a party in her honor last night.

Professor Reginald R. Isaacs, who spoke on behalf of the faculty, said that Miss McNamara is "a tradition." He added that "45 years of dealing with students and faculty must be regarded as an extraordinary feat of sheer mental and physical endurance."

"Thanks to Miss McNamara," Professor Isaacs said, "the Harvard Graduate School of Design boasts the finest and largest collection of city and regional planning and landscape architecture materials in the world."

The reception honoring Miss McNamara was part of the seventh annual Urban Design Conference at the Harvard Graduate School of Design. The theme of this two-day conference is "The Shopping Center as a Nucleus of Inter-City Activity."