Hatch Sets Two University Records; Track Team Clobbers Tigers, 108-41

By David M. Gordon

As usual, individual Crimson trackmen stole the show in the meet against Princeton Saturday. While the Crimson whipped the Tigers in a completely uncontested meet, Hank Hatch won three events, setting two University records and tying a Stadium record in the third.

Hatch's fantastic performance came somewhat as a surprise. Since the beginning of the season, he has been over-shadowed by Aggrey Awori. On Saturday, however, Hatch beat Awori in the high hurdles for the first time this year, tying a Stadium record with the outstanding time of 14.3 seconds. Awori was only inches behind in second place.

The senior's two University records came in the javelin and the 440 yard hurdles. Hatch's throw of 213 ft., 4 in. surpassed a mark set last year by sophomore Peter Lamp. In the hurdles, Hatch turned in a time of 54.3 seconds; since this event is new this year, his time will automatically become a University record.

Awori Wins Twice

Three other spikers were double winners against the Tigers. Awori easily swept the sprints, winning the 100 yd. dash in 10.1 seconds and the 220 yd. dash in 21.4 seconds. He did not compete in the broad jump, although he had jumped 24 ft. in the Penn Relays on Friday.

In Awori's absence, Nigerian star Chris Ohiri swept both the broad jump and the hop-step-and-jump, with leaps of 23 ft., 1/4 in, and 47 ft., 2 in. Distance star Eddle Meehan also won twice, copping the mile with a time of 4:15.4 and the two mile in 9:21.3.

One of the most promising notes of the meet was the performance of two sophomore distance men, John Ogden and Bill Crain. Ogden took a surprising second place in the mile, running it in a time of 4:16.5, which was the best of his career. He then returned to win the $30 yd run with a time of 1:56.4, also his career best. Crain finished out of the money in the mile, although he ran a fast 4:19.6, and then came back to finish second in the two mile behind Meehan, turning in a time of 9:24.0.

Other winners for the Crimson were Art Croasdale in the shot, Art Doten, with a hammer throw of 177 ft., 10 in., and John Bakkensen, who threw the discus 162 ft., 7 1/2 in. The Crimson mile relay team of Dick Briggs, Keith Chiappa, John Parker, and Gage McAfee also won, but with the rather slow time of 3:21.0.

The Crimson freshmen also won quite convincingly, beating the Tiger Cubs 87-62. Both David Fey in the sprints and Tony Lynch in the hurdles were double victors