Netmen Top Cornell, 8-1, But Levin Beats Sullivan

The varsity tennis team swept to its sixth victory in a row Saturday, crushing Cornell, 8-1.

Cornell won its only victory of the day in the number one match as Jerry Levin outstroked Crimson captain Paul Sullivan, 7-5, 6-4. Levin had to rally to win after Sullivan took a 4-1 lead in the first set, but he played steadily to pull out the match.

Vic Niederhoffer lost his first set but came back to trip Tom Kortmann, 3-6, 8-6, 6-4 in the number two match. Frank Ripley crushed Joel Paschow, 6-1, 6-1, at number three.

Chum Steele, number four, and Doug Walter, number five, both won in straight sets. Sandy Walker lost a set to Bill Taylor at number six, but rallied to win 3-6, 6-2, 6-2.

In the doubles, the Crimson combinations of Sullivan and Steele, Niederhoffer and Ripley, and Walter and Mike Belknap all won their matches.

Doubles was supposed to be the Crimson's weak spot this season, but Harvard has lost only one of its last twelve doubles matches.

Coach Jack Barnaby broke up his experienced team of Sullivan and Ripley, finalists in last year's New England Intercollegiate Tournament, to go with the new teams of Sullivan-Steele, Ripley-Niederhoffer, and Peckham-Inman.

All three combinations have been playing well, but the happiest surprise of the season has been the development of Peckham and Inman into a top team. The two are both strong and rangy--Inman is a first-string basketball player during the winter. It was their win against Pennsylvania that gave the Crimson a 5-4 win, and they also have notched an impressive 6-1, 6-2 win over Columbia's number one team. Although they didn't play against Cornell, they will be counted on heavily when Harvard meets Princeton's defending Eastern Intercollegiate Tennis League champions Saturday.