Holy Cross Track Team Faces Crimson Varsity

1:30 p.m. at the Stadium

By John D. Gerhart

The varsity track team, fresh from its impressive 108-41 trouncing of Princeton on Saturday, should find little trouble in extending its victory string to 14 consecutive dual meets when it meets Holy Cross this afternoon.

Though the Crusaders have a strong team, they cannot hope to top a Crimson squad that had three double and one triple winner against powerful Princeton. However, they should provide strong opposition in the distance events and the high jump.

In the indoor meet in February, Charles Buchta of Holy Cross won the mile over Crimson aces Ed Hamlin and Ed Meehan, and John O'Connor took the 1000 yard run. Hamlin is presently injured, but Meehan showed great strength winning the mile and two mile events on Saturday. John Ogden and Bill Crain also give promise of providing excellent depth, to make the 880, mile, and two-mile events exciting.

Except for the high jump, which the Crusaders' Kevin O'Brien will undoubtedly win, the field events should all go to the Crimson. Chris Ohiri won both the broad jump and hop-step-and-jump against Princeton, and Hobie Armstrong, Aggrey Awori, and Chukwuma Azikiwe provide more depth in those events. Art Doten, Art Croasdale, and Loren Clayman swept the weight toss against the Crusaders in the winter, and should take the hammer and shot today. John Bakkensen, who set a University discus record at the Penn Relays on Friday, should easily win that event.

Other than the 440-yard dash and the mile relay, which Holy Cross may win, the only races remaining are the sprints and hurdles, probably the Crimson's strongest events. Few college sprinters can touch Aggrey Awori, and Hank Hatch is proving himself Awori's equal in the hurdles. Hatch, Saturday's triple winner, should also win the javelin throw.

The track meets this past week have seemed almost purposely designed to provide the Crimson with competition in particular areas. Princeton had a good corps of sprinters, and the Penn Relays supplied excellent competition in the field events. Likewise, Holy Cross will test the Crimson's distance runners, but will be unable to marshal enough force to threaten a team victory.