JFK Sees Nats Lose in Opener

President Kennedy yesterday paid a visit to one of the nation's most depressed areas-- D.C. Stadium--and witnessed a distressingly typical performance by its chief tenants, the Washington Senators.

Despite the cheers of the President and 43,021 other fans, the Nats dropped the American League season's opener to the Baltimore Orioles, 3-1.

The best play by a Senator all day came when reserve catcher Ken Retzer outmaneuvered an Oriole to catch the President's season-opening pitch. After that, although sharp pitching by Don Rudolph, Ron Kline, and Steve Hamilton kept the Birds in check most of the way, the sluggish Senator offense never got going.

The victory went to lefthander Steve Barber, who scattered seven hits while a speedy Oriole defense cut off several Senator rallies with snappy fielding. Barber needed help from junkballing Stu Miller, who finished the ninth inning after Minnie Minoso tagged Barber for a leadoff double.

All the Birds' scoring came in the second inning when Jim Gentile stroked a leadoff homer over the 378-foot sign in right field. A1 Smith drew a base on balls and big John Powell smashed a line drive over the right field fence to make it 3-0.

The Nats scored their lone run in the fifth when Larry Osborne singled, moved to third on a double by catcher Don Leppert, and scored as Ed Brinkman was grounding out to shortstop.

It was a frustrating day for the Nats, who constantly had men on base but never could bring them in. Two double plays and several fine catches by the Baltimore outfield secured the Birds, lead.