RGA Tables Extension Of Social Rules

The Radcliffe Government Association failed yesterday to take any action on a motion to grant sophomores the same freedom in sign-out rules now allowed juniors and seniors, after Mrs. Wilma A. Kerby-Miller, a member of the College Council, indicated that the Council might not approve the change.

The Council has final say over every rule change instituted by RGA.

Following Mrs. Kerby-Miller's statement, which, she said, was "not exactly a threat," RGA took no action on the motion. The Association moved to postpone any vote to next November, after an ad hoc committee "re-evaluates the rules." Many members of the RGA believed the motion would have passed if it had come to a vote.

Change Might Not Pass

Mrs. Kerby-Miller stressed that the Council would prevent any rule change from being instituted "if the body thought it detrimental to the college." Speaking on behalf of the Council she hinted that it would not view any present liberalization of the rules favorably.

Proposal Was Changed

Last May, when the RGA Rules Committee, working in conjunction with Mrs. Bunting, proposed that liberalized rules be extended to all upperclassmen, the Council stated that the new rules should apply to juniors and seniors only. Consequently, the RGA Committee changed its proposal.

At that time, Adele Smith '63, former RGA President, announced, "We will evaluate the system in December. If it works well, we will let second-term sophomores sign out until any hour." The matter was never voted on last December, however, not had it come up for vote until yesterday's meeting.