The Weekend Sports Scene . . .

Comedy, With Some Real Competition

By Richard Cotton

A sunny spring day in Cambridge, a beautiful girl, and two ice cream cones -- what more could anyone ask? Simply: a baseball game. Or a crew race. Or maybe even a tennis match. Sports events, after all, have often been the high point of Spring Weekends; this year they may provide some comic relief as well.

Cambridge is blessed with a varsity baseball game and a varsity tennis match at 3 p.m. on Friday, and numerous crew races will disturb the usually placid waters of the Charles beginning at about 4 p.m. Saturday.

The powerful Harvard nine meets a curiously unpredictable opponent from high above the waters of mighty Lake Cayuga. Cornell, plagued by poor fielding and weak pitching, has been quite erratic this season. In one game it committed seven errors while losing 17-0. Yet, on occasion, the Big Red's big bats rescue the team from its defensive lapses. Second baseman Rick Dooley, shortstop Tony DeLaurentism and sophomore third sacker Bob Baker are all potent troublemakers.

Unfortunately for the Big Red, Harvard pitchers are notoriously stingy with base hits. Some opposing batters have even called Crimson hurlers downright selfish. Some haven't Coach Norm Shepard will probably go with Paul Del Rossi or Dick baldi and either should be able keep the Cornell line-up under control without too much strain.

The graduation loss of the guts the Crimson infield has hurt. The returning infielder, Terry Bartolet, been his usual magnificent self, taining a batting average well over 300 for most of the season. Sophomore Tom Bilodeau has shown occasional brilliance at short and has been pelting the ball with reckled abandon at the plate. Gavin Gilmont the Crimson's diminuative but efficient centerfielder, has been the only other remarkable hitter on the team. On the whole, however, Harvard's offense has been unpredictable and at time even non-existent. In their second league game, the Crimson pound pennant favorite Navy, 9-1. The new weekend, the varsity just barely score two runs in as many games again Northeastern and Columbia. then Crimson bats have shown of reawakening -- and after all, Harvard needed only three runs to be Cornell last year when Garibaldi be the Big Red to one run on six hits.

WHILE the baseball squad is leating Cornell at Kindlestick the Crimson tennis squad will be molishing Army. The match appear to be pretty much of a joke -- Harvard doing most of the chuck Nine lettermen, including the top men from the team that thrased Cadets 9-0 last year, again grace varsity roster.

At number one, captain Frank van ranks among the top three teur tennis players in New England in both doubles and singles connection. Vic Neiderhoffer moved up number three to number two early in the season and has been playing really excellent tennis. Frank Ripley holds the distinction of being one of the best number three players in the East. Coach Jack Barnaby finds himself further blessed with several competent sophomores from an undefeated freshman team and he may give them a chance to taste the varsity atmosphere in Friday's match.

The Cadets will probably be imprudent enough to show up, but this will allow the varsity to demonstrate its excellence.

FOR the discriminating fan who refers competition to one-sided demonstration of prowess, the Athletic department has thoughtfully reserved the best for last -- 6:10 p.m. Saturday to be exact. At this absurd the varsity lightweight crew is scheduled to face Princeton and Yale the Goldthwaite Cup -- a cherishtrophy which Harvard has won for the last five years. Staying around this one may make you late for our elegant House dinner engagement but it should be worth it.

The Crimson lightweights are an experienced and talented squad. With lettermen, including five from last winning Goldthwaite Cup crew, Turning to their oars this year, coach Cabot's pleasant problem is an of talent. As a result, has been no definite line between varsity and JV boats. Cabot has able to experiment with different and still continue to win . Saturday afternoon should see Crimson in triumph flashing when three crews sweep past the MIT boathouse.

Best spot to watch the races is at the finish line, next to the MIT boathouse, but it's equally pleasant to sit anywhere along the mile and five-sixteenths course and observe the sculls and gulls glide by. The course will be busy throughout the late afternoon. The Big Three freshmen are scheduled to start at 4:50 p.m., the JV's at 5:30, and the varsity, as noted, at 6:10 p.m. Interspersed with the Big Three races will be competition between Boston University and Brown -- even these otherwise drab groups look nice on the Charles on a sunny afternoon.

AND, of course, for the indiscriminate fan, looking for neither skill nor good competition, the Boston Red Sox and the Washington Senators will jostle at Fenway Park Friday night, Saturday afternoon, and wind up with a big, action-packed doubleheader on Sunday.

The Sox, a perennial local favorite, have actually shown some early season promise. Utilizing trick weapons such as home runs by .161 batters, and home run sluggers who can't run or bend over, they have flirted with the idea of entering the first division. Under new manager Johnny Pesky, many wonderful changes have been made. For example, the Sox now run onto the filed. In fact, mirabile dictu, most of this New Breed even run out infield grounders. The effect of this unaccustomed strain is, as yet, undetermined. But, many old, seasoned observers fear that it may prove disastrous.

A recent addition to the Sox, but obviously an old kin in spirit, Dick Stuart still hasn't quite learned the knack of running. But then with his big, authoritative bat, he doesn't have to hustle on the base paths; he either homers or strikes out. Singles seem beneath his dignity.

Boston will probably take the series, three to one, from the Gnats, but even if the Red Sox lose, it won't detract from the merriment. For these two clubs are really fun teams. Things never get dull in Fenway Park. A few errors, wild pitches, a fight in the centerfield bleachers, or any contact with that amazing creature -- the Red Sox fan -- is sure to make the ball game a most memorable occasion.

If none of these events interests you, the obvious solution is to drown your sorrow in another ice cream cone and find a better game for yourself -- perhaps frisbee on the Charles.