Dartmouth Defeats Varsity Ten 13-7; King's Four Goals Pace Indian Win

By Robert A. Ferguson

The varsity lacrosse team slogged through snow, rain, and sleet in Hanover yesterday, but got little more than wet feet for its efforts. Dartmouth downed the Crimson 13 to 7, ending whatever hopes Harvard retained for a respectable finish in the Ivy League.

Oblivious to the miserable playing conditions, the Indians scored three quick goals in the first period. By the half, Dartmouth led 5 to 2 and the worst was still to come. Before the end of the third quarter, even Indian defensemen were putting the ball into the Crimson nets and the varsity trailed by eight goals.

Outplayed from the very beginning, coach Bruce Munro's stickmen soon learned that all-Ivy quarterback Bill King is just as effective on a lacrosse field as he is on the gridiron. The big midfielder scored twice in the first half and finished the game with four goals and an assist.

King and the other Indians kept varsity goalie Gill Leaf so busy that the ball reached the Crimson's own offense just four times in the first 15 minutes. Midfielder Joe Barton didn't score Harvard's first goal until halfway into the second quarter.

Unable to score with ten Indians on the field, coach Bruce Munro's stickmen did well enough when Dartmouth was in the penalty box. Joey Prahl collected two of his three goals on extra-man plays and Dick Ames added another on a pass from Tink Gunnoe.

Gunnoe, who couldn't bend over because of his injured back, was shut out for the rest of the afternoon. The entire attacking trio of Gunnoe, Ames, and Lou Williams was held to just two goals and three assists over the 60 minute span.