Kennedy Will Host Overseers Tonight As Board Begins Two-Day Meeting

By Donald E. Graham

President Kennedy will host the Board of Overseers and the Corporation at dinner tonight after the Overseers begin an almost-unprecedented two-day business meeting in Washington this morning.

The Overseers will be meeting outside Cambridge for only the second time since the board was established in 1637. The Board met in Washington and in Williamsburg, Va., in 1941.

The meeting is being held in Washington so that the President can attend the last session of his six-year term as Overseer. He is not currently expected to attend any of the business sessions.

The Overseers will be discussing the work of two Harvard-affiliated centers of humane studies located in Washington, the Dumbarton Oaks Library and the Center for Hellenic Studies.

It is also possible that President Pusey will take advantage of the meetings to announce a number of University appointments, including the name of the new University preacher.

This morning the Board will meet in Dumbarton Oaks to discuss the library's work as a research center in Byzantine and Medieval Studies and to inspect its new museum.

Tonight's White House dinner will be held in the State Dining Room after President Kennedy entertains President Pusey, Devereux C. Josephs '15, president of the Board of Overseers, and Charles A. Coolidge '17, Senior Member of the Corporation, at cocktails.

The Board will meet again at the Center for Hellenic Studies tomorrow to examine the Center's new quarters. President Pusey will dedicate plaques to Walker Blaine Beale, in whose memory the Center was given, and to the Old Dominion Foundation, whose $5 million gift endowed the institution.

Archibald MacLeish, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, emeritus, will address the Overseers, the Corporation, and their guests at a luncheon Tuesday.