Netmen Should Defeat Williams Today

One player will be missing as the tennis team takes on Williams today, but the Crimson netmen should still be able to beat the Ephmen without much difficulty.

Number five man Doug Walter, one of the most consistent players on the team, will be taking his generals when the teams meet in Cambridge at 3 p.m. But with Sandy Walker moving up to Walter's spot and Bob Inman taking over number six, Harvard should be able to take home its seventh victory in a row.

The Ephmen will be no pushover, however. Last year they threw a scare into coach Jack Barnaby's team before losing, 5 to 4. This year Williams is weaker, Harvard is stronger, and the match is in Cambridge; the Crimson ought to be able to score a fairly easy win.

There was one change in the lineup as a result of a challenge match yesterday. Frank Ripley and Vic Niederhoffer took over the number one doubles position from Paul Sullivan and Chum Steele. Ripley, who plays third singles, and Niederhoffer, who holds down the number two position, played their best tennis of the year to upset Sullivan and Steele, who had beaten them in a previous challenge match.

After the Williams match the team travels to Princeton for a match with the Tigers Saturday. Princeton is defending champion in the Eastern Intercollegiate Tennis League, and blanked Harvard last year.

Since the Tigers are virtually the same team as last year's, the Crimson will have to look to their own improvements to bring them a win.

Among the most conspicuous improvements is the play at the bottom of the singles ladder. Steele, at number four, Walter, and Walker give Harvard a more consistent lower threesome than last year's.

Sandy Walker, in particular, has been a pleasant surprise this spring. Walker wasn't a starter on last year's squad and began this year in the number eight position. But he swept two challenge matches to win the number six position and has held it ever since.

Walker is a backcourt player, who wins his points with a sharp forehand and strong passing shots, but he has the strength to come to net behind his shots. His all-around game will be counted on to stop Princeton's hard-hitting Speed Howell in the number six match Saturday.