Paul Cowan's Story On Md. Integration Wins Writing Prize

Paul S. Cowan '62-4 has been awarded the 1963 Dana Reed Prize for a series of articles describing attempts by the Northern Student Movement (NSM) to begin an integration drive in a small Maryland community.

Cowan's four articles appeared in the Harvard Summer News last August. It is the second year in a row that a CRIMSON writer has received the award, which is given annually for the outstanding piece of writing in an undergraduate publication.

Faye I. Levine '65 and Robert L. Hoguet '63 were awarded Honorable Mentions. Miss Levine's prize-winning article, called "The Three Flavors of Radcliffe," appeared in the CRIMSON this spring. Hoguet was cited for an article on the Loeb Drama Center which appeared in Comment last November.

Last Year's Award

The award was won last year by James A. Sharaf '59 for a series of two editorials in the CRIMSON commenting on the University's handling of the Pete Seeger case.

Cowan, who has been a leader in various civil rights activities in the Cambridge area, was a member of the NSM group that spent last summer working with the Negro population of Chester-town, Md. He has written regularly for the CRIMSON and other local publications on the problem of intergration.

The Dana Reed prize is named for a former Executive Editor of the CRIMSON and Chairman of the 1943-44 Harvard Album who was lost in action in World War II. It carries an award of $100.

Judges for this year's contest were poetess Adrienne Rich, author Theodore H. White, and New Yorker critic Brendan Gill.