College, Graduate Schools Will Raise Tuition in 1964

Eastern Schools Plan Rate Hikes

By Helen L. Bogumil

Harvard will follow the lead of other Ivy League schools when it raises its tuition in the fall of 1964. This fall three Ivy League schools are hiking tuition rates and rates may go up at the other schools by the fall of 1964.

This September Cornell and Columbia will both raise tuition to $1700, which will be the highest in the League next year. Dartmouth is planning an increase in tuition to $1675 for next fall, with an additional hike of $125 scheduled for September, 1964.

Pennsylvania and Brown both announced that they plan no immediate rise in tuition. Penn now charges $1630 for tuition and fees, but Henry R. Pemberton, vice-president in charge of business and finance, said earlier this year that future rises are inevitable.

Zenas R. Bliss, provost of Brown University, said last February that tuition at Brown will remain at $1600 next year, but did not guarantee that tuition would not increase in the fall of 1964.

Yale and Princeton have not announced any impending tuition rises. However, there are rumors of an increase at Yale, where the last tuition rise went into effect two years ago. Tuition at Yale is $1550. Princeton charges $1600 for tuition and health services.

Harvard's present tuition of $1520 is the lowest in the League. It also compares favorably with rates at many of the smaller liberal arts schools. For example. Colgate University recently raised their tuition $200 to $1700. But room and board at Colgate cost only $800, compared to an average of $1100 at Harvard.