Radcliffe May Raise Tuition for 1964

Radcliffe's tuition will almost certainly rise in 1964, in pace with the $240 increase already announced for Harvard undergraduates. The Radcliffe council is expected to approve the tuition boost at their regular meeting June 3.

A large fraction of Radcliffe's tuition receipts is used to reimburse Harvard for instruction given to Radcliffe students. Presumably, the University will raise this charge when its own tuition increase goes into effect, thereby forcing Radcliffe to raise its own tuition.

Radcliffe's tuition is currently the same as Harvard's $1520 a year.

The Harvard increase announced this week will help "restore the balance" between income from endowment, annual alumni giving and tuition. Dean Ford said Wednesday. He noted that while alumni gifts have increased since the last tuition rise, operation costs have climbed more rapidly.

Ford stressed that the added income will not be used primarily for faculty salary increases. He said that salary raises are determined by long range policy, and that the new money was not intended to accelerate those plans.

Small Group Instruction "Quite Costly"

Some of the money will be used to finance small group instruction, Ford indicated. He pointed out that seminars and sections instruction are "quite costly" and said he thought it fair to ask the "current student generation" to help pay for these teaching methods.

Ford also said that the overhead expenses which the added tuition would help defray were primarily concerned with undergraduates to pay for new research centers," he stated. Such new programs as the Visual Arts Center and other new buildings have significantly increased University overhead.

By announcing the increase 18 months in advance of the date when it will go into effect, the University hopes to have scholarship tables adjusted more rapidly than they were after the 1901 rise in tuition. Ford said that part of the money would go directly to the financial aid office. "I hope that no student who could see his way clear to attending Harvard with the present tuition and the present scholarship program would not be able to attend after the increase." Ford said.

While admitting the danger of pricing the University out of the range of some qualified applicants. Ford expressed confidence that enough additional funds could go into scholarships to maintain approximately the same percentage of help to scholarship students that now exists.