Meehan Elected Captain of Varsity Track Team

Ed Meehan will succeed Ed Hamlin as captain of the varsity track team in 1964. One of the best distance runners in Harvard history, Meehan is also captainelect of next year's cross-country team. He has been a top performer for the Crimson since the beginning of his sophomore year.

As a second year man, the 5 ft., 10 in. runner was one of the varsity's famed "big three," which also included former varsity captain Mark Mullin and present captain Ed Hamlin. In his sophomore year, Meehan ran a 4:11:9 mile and covered the half mile in 1:53 flat. Also a competitor in the two mile run, Meehan has been clocked at 9:21.

The 150 pound junior has been hampered by a leg injury over the spring season, but remains a mainstay in the distance events. Despite the bad leg, Meehan still managed to run the mile in 4:14 earlier in the season.

Meehan, who is concentrating in economics, came to Harvard with an impressive track and cross country record. Captain of his high school team for three years, he was Massachusetts cross country champion and the state's top schoolboy miler both indoors and outdoors.