Five Field Stars Travel to N.Y., Enter IC4A Track Championships

Five field stars will represent the Harvard track squad in the IC4A championships at Randalls Island, N.Y., this week-end. The Crimson, like all the other Ivy League schools, has been forced to surrender its chances for a strong team showing because of exams.

All five men stand a very good chance of placing in the meet, however. Neither Army nor Navy will compete because of their dual meet on Saturday, and many of the other Eastern colleges are notably weak in the events which Harvard plans to enter.

Art Doten, John Bakkensen and Chris Ohiri may win their events. Doten and Bakkensen, competing in the hammer and discus respectively, will throw only in the trials today; they both must return to Cambridge for exams tomorrow.

They will take four throws in the trials, and will have to hope that their efforts hold up during the finals tomorrow. Bakkensen. University record holder in the discus, is a strong favorite, since he won the Penn Relays against much the same competition. Doten has one of the best marks in the hammer, but was somewhat inconsistent in the Heptagonals and in the dual meet against Yale.

Ohiri May Win

Ohiri will also have a strong chance of winning the hop-step-and-jump. His University record leap of over 49 feet ranks among the best college marks in the nation. Harvard will probably pick up extra points in the triple jump from Chum Azikiwe, who has been over 46 feet several times during the year.

Sophomore Peeter Lampe may also score in the javelin, if he can approach his school record of 218 feet. His chances will depend on which of Yale's three throwers escape from their exams in New Haven

Villanova figures as the favorite for the team title. The Wildcats won the indoor meet earlier this year, and ran away with the outdoor championships last year. Manhattan may be the only team who can threaten the Villanova powerhouse.