Crimson Tracksters Favored Today In Greater Boston Championships

The varsity track team's only concern in the Greater Boston Intercollegiate Championships at Brandeis today and tomorrow will be in emerging completely healthy for the Heptagonals on Saturday. The Crimson won the G.B.I. by 20 points last year and they should have an easier time this year.

Coach Bill McCurdy will withhold several of his stars from the running events on Wednesday night to protect against injury. Milers Eddie Meehan, Ed Hamlin, and Bill Crain will definitely not participate; Aggrey Awori and Chris Ohiri may not compete if the weather is too cold.

Despite these withdrawals, the Crimson will not be pressed in their bid for the team title. In the finals of the field events tonight Harvard could possibly sweep all seven first places. Only the high jump, with the continued absence of Jack Spitzberg, is the weak spot in the powerful array of field strength. Coach Ed Stowell called Saturday's performance at Brown the greatest "demonstration of field strength I've ever seen by a Harvard team."

In the running events, the Crimson will be forced to share honors with a few local stars. Jim Cohen of Tufts has run a :47.6 in the 440 this year, and Ed Tantorsky of B.U., who set a Briggs Cage record during the indoor season, has run a 1:52.0 half-mile.

The distance races will be dominated by B.C.'s Larry Rawson, who has run a 4:11.2 mile and an outstanding 9:05.2 two mile during the year. Rawson anchored the B.C. four-mile relay team to a sure victory in the Penn Relays two weeks ago.

After the resounding victory against Brown last Saturday, Harvard may enter the Heps as the distinct favorite. Awori now rates among the top ten performers nationally in the 220 yd. dash, the high hurdles, and the broad jump.