Faculty Does Not Alter New CLGS Degree Rule

By Joseph M. Russin

Dean Monro told the Faculty yesterday that the new rules for the cum laude in General Studies degree have not resulted in a mass exodus from regular departmental honors programs. In fact, he presented figures showing that as of April 25, fewer seniors had dropped honors than last year, although the number of honors candidates has increased eight per cent.

In view of these statistics, and a recommendation of the Committee on Educational Policy, the Faculty made no move to change the existing regulations.

Last Fall the Faculty voted to allow seniors to drop departmental honors and receive a CLGS degree automatically if they had the required number of honors grades. At the time, several Faculty members predicted that the system would encourage vast numbers of seniors to cease writing theses.

But Monro reported that at this time it appears "the worst fears were not realized." This year only 44 of 519 honors candidates dropped honors, while last year 49 of 481 left departmental programs. Twenty-seven of this year's drop-outs have applied for the CLGS degree.

Specific Change

The English department felt the change most, with 7 of 63 seniors dropping honors, 4 for the CLGS. Last year no seniors dropped honors. In Government, 8 of 68 dropped honors, 5 for the CLGS. Ten out of 80 candidates last year dropped honors. Seven of the 9 students dropping honors in History will take CLGS degree, out of 120 candidates. Last year 12 of 111 students did not receive honors degrees.

While Monro thought these figures were "reassuring." he said the Administrative Board would "keep an eye on the whole situation through Commencement." Should some seniors fail to receive honors on their these or generals, it is now possible for them to take finals this Spring and ask for CLGS degrees.

Senior tutors and departments have been asked to advise students to take the final exams who might qualify for CLGS despite failures in departmental honors. If a significant number of student should gain CLGS in this way, however, Monro said a serious reappraisal of the regulations would be in order.

"We do not want CLGS to become a kind of second class honors," Monro said, "it is a program with a definite purpose."

Dean Ford agreed, saying that no changes in the rules were necessary at the present time. The Faculty will review the issue again next Fail.