Reunion Class Eats 1400 Lobsters, Frolics at Golf, Tennis, Softball

By Charles W. Bevard jr.

Yesterday morning was partly overcast, and there were short, scattered showers during the afternoon, but this didn't stop the Class of 1938 from consuming 1400 lobsters, an undetermined quantity of clams on the half-shell and clam chowder, and various other foods and beverages at the Essex County Club.

In fact, the comparative coolness of the day encouraged frolic on the golf links, the tennis courts, and the soft-ball field, if not swimming. Eager golfers started before 9 a.m. and included Dean von Stade and John Rockefeller, while Presidential assistant Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. and Chief Marshal Francis Keppel both occupied the tennis courts for part of the day.

The Club pool was in active, but not crowded, use during the afternoon, although for most of the cool morning very few wanted to come any closer to it than a patch of sun on the concrete deck. Some hearty souls did, however, take advantage of the shuttle bus service offered to near-by Singing Beach on the Atlantic.

Boat Trips Offered

Boat trips along the scenic North Shore coast were offered from the Manchester Yacht Club, and during the afternoon there was a bus tour of the North Shore gardens and another of the Cape Ann shore and Gloucester water front, including Gorton's Fishery.

In the morning, some of the alumni interrupted their bus trip to the Essex County Club to tour historic Salem, including visits to the Essex Institute, the Peabody Museum, the House of the Seven Gables, the Derby House, the Pickering House, and the houses on famous Chestnut St.

Before dinner the Dunster Dunces entertained, singing such songs as "I've got tears in my eyes from lying on my back in bed when I'm crying over you." After dinner a painting was auctioned off for the benefit of the Class Gift fund.

Panel Discussion Tomorrow

Tomorrow morning the class will attend a panel discussion of "Harvard College Today." Speakers will include Fred L. Gimp, Dean of Admissions; Dean von Stade, and John H. Finley, Master of Eliot House. Francis Keppel will moderate.

At 12 noon, members of the class will attend a memorial service in Memorial Church. After an afternoon program including a University Open House and a special play reading in the Loeb, the class will attend a Boston Symphony Hall Pops Concert.