Rusk, U Thant, Brandt, Kennan, Gibb, Bowra Gain Honorary Degrees at Commencement

Dean Rusk and U Thant received honorary degrees this morning from President Pusey, in the 312th Commencement Exercises.

Along with the U.S. Secretary of State and the U.N. Secretary-General, Willy Brandt, Mayor of West Berlin and this year's Pollak Lecturer, was also honored with a Doctorate of Laws.

The University also awarded degrees to George F. Kennan, the historian of Soviet foreign policy and Ambassador to Yugoslavia: Sir Maurice Bowra, the great classical scholar and critic (Doctor of Letters) and to the Nobel Prize-winning biochemist Alexander Todd, Baron Trumpington (Doctor of Science).

Looking to her own, Harvard chose for distinction within her Faculty Sir Hamilton Gibb, the Arabist and University Professor who heads the Center for Middle Eastern Studies (Letters); the retired historian of America Arthur M. Schlesinger, Sr. (Letters); Harvey Brooks, physicist and Dean of the Division of Engineering and Applied Physics (Science); and Augustus Thorndike '19, surgeon at the Medical School (honorary M.A.).

From the lists of outside scholars the Corporation has selected Karl von Frisch, the zoologist of Munich known for his studies of communication among bees and the American authority on international trade, Jacob Viner.

Harvard has honored educational administrators since the time of President Lowell. In the ceremony this morning the educator's degree of Doctor of Laws went to: William C. DeVane, retiring Dean of Yale College; Logan Wilson, former Chancellor of the University of Texas and now President of the American Council on Education; and the Headmaster of Groton, and student of theology John Crocker '22. A Doctorate of Humane Letters was given Hamilton Fish Armstrong, the editor of Foreign Affairs who has been with the quarterly since 1922.

Most of the degree recipients in public service have backgrounds in education. Secretary Rusk, whose citation read "resolute, responsible leader in a perilous age who seeks in statecraft a constructive world force," was once Dean of the Mills College Faculty, and served until 1961 as President of the Rockefeller Foundation. Kennan is returning this year to the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeon. Thant ("He reconciles conflicts among the nations and boldly administers a worldwide ecort for human betterment") was a headmaster of Burese schools and state director of Information.

Brandt's degree came as no surprise after his October lectures on "The Ordeal of Coexistence." In today's ceremony Pusey appropriately called him "the valiant and unflagging defender, for us all, of an outpost of freedom."

The achievement that earned Lord Trumpington the Nobel Prize in 1957 was his work on organic phosphates, and in particular his synthesis of ATP.

Sir Hamilton Gibb was aquired from Britain in 1955 with only the promise of a University Professorship and Harvard's fervent hope for the active center of Middle Eastern Studies it now has. Schlesinger (along with Frederic Merk) succeeded Fredrick Jackson Turner a generation ago as the dominant influence on American social history