Ohiri Sets Univ. Mark In IC4A Track Meet

Chris Ohiri captured the only first place, but all five of Harvard's entries placed in the IC4A track championships at Randalls Island N.Y., this weekend. Paced by Ohiri's new University record in the hop-step-and-jump, the Crimson aggregation finished sixth in the meet with 14 points.

Ohiri's performance will certainly rate as one of the top marks of the season. After easily moving ahead of the field in the trials on Friday with a leap of 48 ft. 8 in., the Nigerian star returned on Saturday to pass the celebrated 50 foot line with a ump of 50 ft. 1 in. Ohiri's leap would have easily qualified him for the 1960 United States Olympic trials; as it was, the jump shattered the old IC4A record set by Winston Cooper in 1961.

Doten, Bakkensen Disappointed

Two other Crimson stars were slightly disappointed in their eventual placings in the meet--exams forced both Art Doten and John Bakkensen to return to Cambridge after only four throws in the trials on Friday. Bakkensen had led the discus going into the finals with a throw of 165 ft. 9 1/2 in., but the sophomore was displaced by N.Y.U.'s 19 year-old giant Gary Gubner. Bakkensen barely held onto second place by seven inches.

Doten suffered much the same fate. Throwing a little below his best, the senior hammer thrower was in third place entering the finals, but was shoved into fourth position; his toss of 184 ft. 2 in. was two inches behind the third place finisher.

Triple Jump

Another fine performance was turned in by Chum Azikiwe in the triple jump. Zeke captured third place behind Ohiri with a leap of 47 ft. 1/2 in., one of his best jumps of the season. A slight disappointment was the showing of sophomore Peeter Lampe in the javelin. Lampe was able to capture sixth place in a strong field, but his throw of 199 ft. 9 in. was well below his University record of 218 ft.

Villanova easily captured the team title for the fourth year in a row. Yale finished 14 points behind the Wildcats in second place; they had scraped together nearly a full team in the middle of their exam period. Manhattan, expected to be the chief threat to Villanova, was a distant third place.